Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute – DoD ManTech
Digital Manufacturing & Design Innovation (DMDI) Institute
• Established February 2014
• Lead: UI LABS
• Headquarters Location: Chicago, Illinois
• Includes over 190 companies, Universities and Labs, and ther organizations
• Federal funding (cooperative agreement): $70 million
• Mission: Establish a state-of-the-art proving ground for digital manufacturing and design that links IT tools, standards, models, sensors, controls, practices and skills, and transitions these tools to the U.S. design & manufacturing industrial base for full-scale application.
On February 25, 2014, President Obama announced the selection of the winning team to lead the DMDI institute, an Illinois consortium led by UI Labs and consisting of members throughout the upper Midwest and beyond.
The awardee, UI Labs, brings excellent participation by strong industry partners engaged and leading this consortium. There is a strong connection with academia with a diverse background in digital manufacturing and design. UI Labs has assembled a world-class team of more than 70+ organizations from industry, government and academia, with both broad and deep experience in all aspects of product development, technology transfer and commercialization processes from design and prototyping to manufacturing at scale.
The DMDI Institute will address the life cycle of digital data interchanged among myriad design, engineering, manufacturing and maintenance systems, and flowing across a networked supply chain.
For more information about the Digital Manufacturing & Design Innovation (DMDI) Institute, please visit their official website.
DMDI Solicitation Process
The DMDI Institute was established by formal solicitation through the Army Contracting Command – Redstone in support of the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Research Development and Engineering Center (AMRDEC) located at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, and managed and supported by a tri-service, interagency group composed of members from contributing agencies. An overview of the intended institute can be found here: DMDI Overview
The Notice of Intent can be found here: NOI-DMDI.
A Proposers’ Day was held to help potential teams learn and prepare better proposals. Copies of the DMDI briefings are below:
• NNMI, Building the Partnership Picture by Mike Molnar, AMNPO
• DMDI Institute General Information by Greg Harris, DMDI
• DMDI, Contracting Information by Jeff Knight, DMDI